27 April 2012

Remembering Synonyms

Maybe we don't appreciate how important words are until we lose them. My father had Alzheimer's. His words disappeared - one after another. He was very patient about it, it did not seem to affect him. He just explained the words. I would ask him what he had for breakfast, and he would answer "a round red thing" (a tomato) or he would say he "the things that removes my beard", talking about his razor.
One day he had almost no words left, and his body language and facial expressions told me what he thought or wanted. Even though this example is extreme, we all forget words now and then.

I like synonyms. Like the way my father explained the words lost in his mind, there are so many fun synonyms to use. You can find alternative words when using the Microsoft Word toolbar: review - synonyms or use a good old-fashioned synonym-book or check out one of the many websites, e.g. synonyms
Using different words and the synonyms for these, can sometimes show who you are, if you are a reader, if you are young or old, or maybe what your profession is.

Expanding my vocabulary, learning new words and how to use them is challenging and fun. There are so many more words out there!
Check-out the "word a day" on the right hand column here on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment